Op-Ed: The Commentator Got It Wrong
Anonymous | On 08, Nov 2016
I would like to first start off this piece by saying I respect the opposing views of the The Commentator‘s student piece on why Hillary Clinton should be president. Where I disagree with the piece, however, is that it was built on the basis of words and emotions versus policies.
In this piece, I’m going to argue what Donald J. Trump’s actual policies and stances on issues are, and what he’s done versus what is misconstrued in the mainstream media.
First off, I would like to say I support Trump and I’m not a bigot. A bigot, by definition, is someone who is intolerable of other people’s opinions. I don’t agree with everything he says on policy, but I do think he’s a much better candidate than Clinton.
Second, I would like to summarize some key things Trump has done and maybe give perspective on his ideas. I hope you will reconsider.
- Donald Trump wrote a book titled The America We Deserve, around the year 2000, when he was running for the Reform Party. This might be an indicator as to why he wanted to become president of United States. In the book, Trump mentions that he is fiscally, economically, and militarily conservative, but socially liberal. He believes in lower taxes for the American people and higher taxes for the wealthy in order to reduce or eliminate the national debt. He supports the second amendment, supports the state of Israel, has thought that a national healthcare system is necessary to the American people, and believes some forms of abortion (i.e., third trimester) are very immoral. This might make some people think he’s really just a libertarian with a few liberal and conservative ideas, which could be the reason why he might win on Election Day. Also in this book, a year before the events of September 11, he mentions an idea on how to take out Osama Bin Laden and the threat he could do to this country. It clearly shows that Trump really cares about America.
- He hired a woman named Barbara Res, at the age of 33, to become the first woman to be put in charge of supervising a construction of a skyscraper, in 1980.
- He allowed his private jet to fly a seriously ill boy from California to New York for medical treatment.
- He has donated much of his money to several health organizations such as the American Cancer Society, American Diabetes Association, Alliance for Lupus Research, Autism Speaks, and the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America.
- He believes that Common Core education is failure and that education needs operated to be at a local level. He wants no federal government profit from student loans. He wants and supports charter schools for competition and will allow vouchers for parents to choose their schools versus Common Core, No Child Left Behind, and Race to the Top, are all which take away those decisions from parents and local school boards, specifically the black community, which have proven that charter schools work for them very well, such as in KIPP schools.
It is for all these reasons and more that I support Donald J. Trump for president.